Fire at air station injures 2 Marines working on aircraft

Hanger fire severaly burns 2 Marines at MCAS Miramar

Hanger fire severaly burns 2 Marines at MCAS Miramar

Problems continue to plague the F-35 program, which has become the most expensive defense project in USA history.

The unidentified victims belong to a Marine Corps reserve unit based out of Fort Worth, Texas.

The F-35's Joint Program Office also issued a statement saying it and a team from the jet's manufacturer, Lockheed Martin, have "identified the root cause and generated the software fix to resolve the issues identified by the USMC".

The Marine Corps has said the fighters will be operating out of Okinawa's Marine Corps Air Station Futenma and Kadena on a "transient basis".

"Both Marines are now being treated for severe burns at the UC-San Diego Regional Burn Center", the wing said in a statement. Kurt Stahl, Miramar's public affairs director.

"The F-35B is a highly capable aircraft with an excellent test and developmental safety record", Stahl added.

Senate Armed Services Committee Chairman John McCain (R-AZ) is "concerned" F-35 flight operations are suspended at Yuma, according to a statement issued by his office.

"With this fix, VMAF-211 at MCAS Yuma resumed flight operations today", the JPO said in a statement that did not elaborate on how the issue was resolved.

The Marine Corps has suspended all Joint Strike Fighter flight operations at Marine Corps Air Station Yuma, AZ, because of concerns about the jet's logistics system.

The incident at Yuma has followed a suspension of F-35 flights at Luke Air Force Base in Arizona, which came about because pilots were starting to report hypoxia-like symptoms caused by a lack of oxygen.

Bedeviled by mechanical glitches, cost overruns and lengthy production delays, the $379 billion F-35 project for the Air Force, Navy and Marine Corps infamously became known in the Pentagon as "acquisition malpractice".

Isles ship out Travis Hamonic with another big move on tap
3 people dead, including 2 children, after crash in Mississauga